In June 2022, the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) began using the updated definition of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). All facility types reporting data through the COVID-19 Vaccination Module must use the updated definition.
Up to date COVID-19 vaccination includes:
- An individual who has received all doses in the primary series and all recommended booster doses, when eligible.
- Most individuals who are 50 years and older and have received a second booster dose.
- Reporting of up-to-date vaccination status is summarized in the table below.
*Individuals with a moderately to severely immunocompromising condition are considered up to date in the following cases:
- Received an additional dose less than three months ago, if primary series was the Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine; or
- Received an additional dose less than two months ago, if primary series was the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine; or
- Received an additional dose and one booster dose less than four months ago; or
- Received a second booster dose.
If data does not reflect the updated definition, facilities are encouraged to go back into NHSN and update their data.