The Centers of Medicaid & Medicare Services announced that nursing homes will receive point-of-care COVID-19 antigen test kits and the first round of deliveries started in late July. Facilities across the US will receive one diagnostic test machine and enough test kits for a 6-week supply to test residents and employees.
- CLIA Waiver is required
- Tests must be ordered by a healthcare professional licensed under applicable state law or a pharmacist under HHS.
- NHSN data will be used for subsequent deliveries of the equipment and test kits. Priority will be given but not limited to the following:
- Providers with three or more COVID-19 positive cases
- Number of positive cases in the greater community
- Online training will be made available to providers by the manufacturer
- Each test will cost around $25.00 and after the initial shipment, nursing homes will be responsible for procuring future supplies.
- Reorder kits will be through a “Concierge” – one stop shop
There are two types of testing equipment:
- Quidel Sofia 2
- BD Veritor System
- Both systems can complete 15-20 tests and results in an hour.
- Sensitivity at 85-95%
- Positive tests are 100% accurate
- False positive tests results are possible
- Ensure appropriate training is completed and documented for designated users for the specific model sent to your facility.
- Ensure appropriate safety precautions are ongoing and fully implemented for those performing the tests and decontamination of the equipment is properly completed per the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Ensure tests are repeated when indicated.
- Ensure materials are stored appropriately.
- Designate a person or persons to inventory and reorder testing supplies.
- Develop protocols with your medical staff and clinical leaders to ensure appropriate action is taken when a person with symptoms tests negative and there is reason to appropriately isolate and seek a diagnostic PCR test for COVID-19.
- Review the AHCA FAQs and HHS FAQs
If you have question or need assistance with applying for a CLIA Waiver, email email@example.com