Earn your Preceptor certificate and 6 CEU's! IHCA’s online Preceptor course is the first of its kind in Indiana offering convenient, cost-effective, and quality education. We strive to provide training and education to IHCA members that will enhance skill-sets and the quality of care.
The state guidelines for Preceptor Curriculum list five topics and eleven areas of focus. Our Preceptor course incorporates thirteen additional subject areas such as Aspects of Aging, Marketing & Sales, Insurance, Legal Aspects, and Public Relations. We believe these skill sets are important for an AIT to acquire from his or her Preceptor.
The course content consists of 8 learning modules:
1. Beginning and completing the AIT plan, How to conduct the AIT program, Completing and submitting forms, and Exam preparation
2. Administration, Personnel, Rehab and allied health professionals, and Medical Director
3. Nursing, MDS, Medical Records
4. Aspects of aging, Admissions and social services, Marketing and sales, and Business office
5. Dietary, Activities, Housekeeping and laundry, Maintenance/environmental services
6. Insurance, Legal aspects, Public relations, Corporate compliance, HIPAA and confidentiality
7. Abuse prevention and prohibition, Resident rights, and Standards of competent practice
8. Adult learner, Management, and Supervision
In order to qualify as a preceptor, an applicant is required to be a currently licensed Indiana HFA to precept an applicant seeking licensure as an HFA or RCA, or an RCA to precept an applicant seeking licensure as an RCA. An applicant is also required to file an application with the board and be approved prior to serving as the preceptor. All applicants shall have attended, within five (5) years prior to applying to serve as a preceptor, a board approved educational program and forward to the board a certificate of completion. Furthermore, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
1. Have active work experience as an HFA or RCA for at least two (2) out of the immediate preceding three (3) years prior to the date of application;
2. Be a current CEO of a continuing care retirement community who holds a current, valid HFA license; or
3. Be a current regional manager for a multi-facility organization who holds a current valid HFA license or RCA and who affirms to the board that his or her physical presence at the training location is concurrent with at least sixty percent (60%) of the applicant’s physical presence at the training location.
Finally, applicants for preceptor shall not have any disciplinary action taken by the board against his or her HFA or RCA license in the last two (2) years. For further information regarding preceptor applications, please refer to 840 Ind. Admin. Code 1-1-17.
Print your Certificate of Completion and submit it to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency, State Board of Health Facility Administrators at 402 W. Washington St., Room WO72, Indianapolis IN 46204. If you have questions, please email pla10@pla.IN.gov or call 317-234-2067.
Again, thank you for choosing IHCA’s online education. We wish you much success in your continuing education.
IHCA Members: $150 (IHCA Members must email firstname.lastname@example.org to gain a Discount Code before registering for the course)
**Please Note: Upon registration and payment for the course, you will receive individualized login information directly from CE Solutions, the course software system.
Preceptors can order the Administrator-in-Training Domains of Practice Internship Manual through NAB. This revised edition of the NAB/AIT Internship Manual offers a detailed set of AIT activities based on the five major practice areas, or domains, of nursing home administration. Suggests a sequence and time division through the eleven departmental areas. Permits a nearly one-to-one relationship between AIT activities and preparation in the knowledge base deemed necessary for persons seeking licensure. References to nearly all of the elements of the domains of practice.
To receive a list of current preceptors, please contact Katie Niehoff (email@example.com).